St. Brigid History
Saint Brigid School was founded under the direction of Rev. Peter A. Birmingham in 1888, staffed by the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The present school building was erected in 1928, under the guidance of Rev. Msgr. James Cantwell, and the building was renovated when Rev. Msgr. James O’Connor became pastor of Saint Brigid Church. Further renovations to the auditorium and cafeteria were made while the Most Rev. William J. McDonald was pastor of Saint Brigid Church.
In 1970, the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary were replaced by the Sisters of Mercy of Dublin, Ireland. When Rev. Msgr. Robert Hayburn became pastor of Saint Brigid Church in 1979, many of the school facilities were remodeled under his direction, namely the library and computer laboratory. Furthermore, an extension program was introduced to accommodate the needs of our working parents. The Sisters of Mercy withdrew from the school at the end of the 1982-83 school year. Since 1982, the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, whose Mother House is in Madrid, Spain, have been in charge of the school. Like their predecessors, they continue the challenging work of values-oriented education.
Since the closing of the church in 1994, the school has become an Archdiocesan School. The priests of Saint Mary’s Cathedral serve Saint Brigid School’s spiritual needs and are an integral part of the Saint Brigid School Community. Saint Brigid School continues to be maintained in the excellent tradition of its long history. Throughout the years, Saint Brigid School has been served by many dedicated lay teachers and staff who have made outstanding contributions to our school. All of us -- priests, administrators, teachers, staff, parents, and students - work together to maintain the legacy of an excellent Catholic education.